My Signature Dish
by Davina McCall
TV personality and charity fundraiser Davina McCall is on a mission - to get the nation eating more healthily. The renowned fitness fanatic recently took to the stage at the new BBC Good Food Eat Well Show for a live cooking demo showing visitors how to cook healthy meals.
Her top tips for eating more healthily are: "Lose the rubbish food immediately. If it's in your house you'll eat it. Completely change your shopping list. If you have healthy food in your fridge you don't have any choice but to cook with it."
However, Davina admits cooking nutritious meals with her busy schedule can be a challenge. "I do find it hard to cook meals and that's why I actually use the freezer a lot. If I'm making one of my favourites like pork chilli or ragu or tomato soup or any soup really, I will always make double the amount and freeze what we don't eat so that when I am busy I can defrost something and its ready to go."
She admits that Gwyneth Paltrow is her ultimate inspiration. "I do look at her and think you are a shining example of someone who clearly lives a healthy lifestyle and looks good on it. I sometimes think I could never achieve her level of perfectness but she is something to aspire to."
Davina's uber healthy signature dish is chicken with chorizo, chickpeas and kale.
"It's a fantastic one-pot dish and I love anything with chorizo. Kale is the new broccoli - everybody's doing it - but you can use other greens, as long as they keep their shape and don't go mushy. Spinach doesn't work. You might find two cans of chickpeas slightly too much, but one can isn't enough, so save any leftover chickpeas to put in a salad."
BBC Good Food Show will be hosting The Spring Show in Harrogate from
10-12 April and the Summer Show in Birmingham from 11-14 June.
Davina's Chicken with Chorizo, Chickpeas and Kale
>> Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs or other pieces,
with skin and bone
- 2 cooking chorizo sausages,
sliced into rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas,
drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can of tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- Large sprig of thyme
- Small bunch of kale,
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / Gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish. Add the chicken thighs or pieces and brown them thoroughly on both sides. Make sure the skin in particular is crisp and brown. Remove the chicken from the dish and set it aside, then pour off the excess fat released by the chicken.
- Add the slices of chorizo to the casserole dish and brown them for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove them from the pan and again drain off any excess fat. Add the onion to the casserole and fry gently for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas (as much of them as you want) and tomatoes and stir well to combine. Tuck in the sprig of thyme, pour over the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper. Pile the kale on top of the chickpeas, and then arrange the chicken and chorizo on top. Season again.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place the dish in the oven for 20 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.