>> Introducing our new feature, Food for Thought. In our latest reader survey you told us you would like even more recipes and inspiration, so here they are! Each issue we'll aim to bring you recipes ideas based on key dates and events in the culinary calendar - or linked to other features in the magazine.
Chip Week takes place from January 17-23, so why not serve up this recipe for Welsh rarebit and thick chips? Fluffy potatoes such as King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes work best. For the Welsh Rarebit, use mature Cheddar cheese - and don't forget the English mustard and Worcestershire sauce!
Gorgonzola Tagliatelle with toasted walnuts, leeks and crispy Parma Ham >> Serves 2
We kicked off our new 'Say Cheese' column with everything you need to know about Gorgonzola, and here's a delicious recipe to whet your appetite further...
- Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan, add 150g Gorgonzola and stir until melted. Stir in cream and nutmeg and season with black pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cook the tagliatelle in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes until al dente
- Meanwhile, fry the leeks, Parma Ham and walnuts in a little olive oil until just cooked and coloured.
- Drain the tagliatelle and stir through the Gorgonzola sauce, along with the leeks and walnuts.
- Divide the tagliatelle between two plates and top with extra Gorgonzola. Drizzle with a little olive oil and black pepper before serving.
Cook's tip: Make sure you keep stirring the sauce whilst cooking the rest of this dish to prevent a skin from forming
- 50g butter
- 175g Gorgonzola dolce or piccante
- 200ml single creamr
- 2 pinches grated nutmeg
- 1 leek, sliced
- 250g fresh tagliatelle
- 2 slices Parma Ham, torn
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cracked black pepper
Article taken from Jan / Feb 2014 issue of Stir it up magazine. Get your copy here